The event was hosted by the Maritime Museum in Split and the Split branch office of the Croatian Heritage Foundation.

The one hundredth anniversary of a mutiny that involved Croatian sailors of the Austro-Hungarian Navy at the port in Boka Kotorska (Cattaro harbour) was commemorated on the 1st of February at the Maritime Museum in Split.
The event was hosted by the Maritime Museum in Split and the Split branch office of the Croatian Heritage Foundation.
Museum director Danka Radić’s introductory presentation was followed by the screening of Who Was Mate Brničević, a documentary film produced by national television broadcaster Hrvatska radiotelevizija and shot by screenwriter and director Stipe Ercegović, who also serves as the president of the Tin Ujević Association of Croatians in Belgrade.
The mutiny began on the 1st of February 1918 with the commandeering of the Austro-Hungarian Navy ships Sankt Georg and Gea, docked at Boka Kotorska. Among the leaders of the munity was gunnery sailor Jerko Šižgorić, a native of Žirje island.
The mutiny began precisely at noon. After control had been assumed aboard the ships Sankt Georg and Gea the sailors took control of another forty warships at port in Boka Kotorska, and held the imperial officers, including rear admiral Alexander Hansa, in the ship cabins.
The sailor’s chief gripe was the war that Germany and Austro-Hungary had drawn the world into, while the immediate cause was the refusal to wage war against their Slavic brethren and the unbearable living conditions on the ships.
The mutiny was suppressed by the 3rd of February following the arrival of three battleships, four destroyers and eight torpedo boats from the port of Pula. The breaking of the mutiny was followed by repressive measures against the sailors. Some 1,200 sailors and non-commissioned officers were immediately placed under arrest—about ten perished in prison.
The court martial intended to condemn 42 sailors and NCOs to death, but this was averted following the intervention and steadfast efforts of Dr Mitrović from Knin, who defended the sailors before the court pro bono. He was unable to save them all, however, and the court martial condemned four to death. These were Antun Grabar from Poreč, Mate Brnčević from Krila Jesenice, Czech national František Raš and Jerko Šižgorić from Žirje island. All four were quickly executed as leaders of the mutiny.
Before facing the firing squad the condemned men were given the last rites by priest Don Niko Luković, who left written testimony of their final hours and words.
At seven o’clock the sailors were taken to a field below the municipal cemetery in Škaljari to face execution.
Three of the sailors died from the first volley, while Grabar was only wounded. On orders, two of the soldiers in the firing squad shot him dead with a second volley. (